If you find yourself rushing out of the house in the morning without time to eat breakfast, here is a nutritious breakfast idea that you can make ahead of time and take with you. These bake up soft and chewy, full of protein and fiber. They also make a great afternoon snack.
- 1 cup natural nut butter of your choice
- ¼ cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed up
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ¼ cups whole or quick oats
- ½ cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 2/3 cup chopped nuts, of your choice
- ½ cup ground flaxseed, hemp seeds or chia seeds
- Optional: ½ cup unsweetened flaked coconut
Preheat the oven to 325°F
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a mixer, beat together nut butter, honey or maple syrup, vanilla extract, mashed bananas, salt and cinnamon until combined. Add the oats, dried cranberries nuts and flax seeds and mix.
Use ¼ cup of the batter, make into cookie-like mounds and place on the baking sheet. Flatten each mound slightly.
Bake the cookies for 14 to 16 minutes. They are done when they are golden brown. They will still be soft. Allow cookies to cool before eating.