Anyone who knows me (or reads any of my blog posts) probably knows that the role I most value in life is that of Mom. In celebration of all Mother’s out there, I asked some of my special Mom friends what their favorite Mother’s Day food celebrations include. Keep reading to find out more, plus my own contribution which I love making with my kiddos!
- Mom of a three-year-old boy wants breakfast – let’s hope Dad and kiddo can make her an avocado topped omelette with a side of tater tots!
- Mom of a little girl with another sweet baby on the way wants easy to cook and no clean up – brunch picnic with bagels & lox (mimosas again eventually)!
- Mom to one hungry six-year-old boy just wants her own food. She says her own HUGE fruit salad where the little guy is not stealing it from her would be perfect!
- Busy mom to an older boy and girl wants to sleep – bring on the brunch so she can sleep in please!
- Super mom to three active kids all under 10 wants a little decadence with chocolate covered strawberries, yum!
My favorite side to truly any meal is popovers. You can stuff them with scrambled eggs at breakfast to make a tasty egg sandwich, enjoy as a side with a beautiful salad at lunch, or pair with a protein and veggie for a delicious accompaniment at dinner. Check out my recipe below, there are so many variations of the actual popover too – add a sprinkle of pepper, parmesan cheese, or even cinnamon to create your own spin on my classic favorite!
Jess’ Perfect Popovers (makes 12 medium popovers)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ C milk of choice (whole, low fat, skim)
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 ½ C all purpose flour
- 3 T melted butter
- Preheat oven to 450 F
- Grease muffin tin heavily
- Combine eggs, milk, and salt whisking well
- Add the flour all at once and whisk to combine well
- Stir in the melted butter
- Fill muffin tin cups ⅔ way full
- Allow batter to rest for 30 minutes to all come to the same temperature
- Bake at 450 for 20 minutes
- Reduce oven temp tp 350 F and bake an additional 10-15 minutes until tops are golden brown
- Serve hot and enjoy plain, with honey, jam, olive oil/garlic dipping sauce, etc – the options are endless!
*Be sure not to open the oven door while baking – this ensures that the popovers “pop”!
Happy Mother’s Day!!!
For more celebration and food ideas, email [email protected] to make an appointment with one of our skilled dietitians!