By: Jessica Roy MS, RD, LDN
Spring and summer bring a bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables to area farmers markets. Why shop for local produce, you ask? Here are a few of the many reasons:
- You’re supporting the local economy
- Local produce requires less transit time and less packaging, which is better for the environment
- The produce is fresher and tastes better! (Bite into a local heirloom tomato in the middle of August and you’ll see what I mean)
- Eating more fruits and vegetables is one of the best things you can do for your health (hello, fiber, vitamins, and minerals!)
When are farmer’s markets open?
There are both winter and summer markets available in our area!
Where is the closest summer market?
The best nearby summer market is the Belmont Farmer’s Market.
Location: The municipal parking lot in Belmont Center, at the intersection of Cross St. & Channing Rd., behind the stores on Leonard St.
Dates: Thursdays, June 4 through October
Hours: Hours change after Labor Day because the sun sets earlier:
- 2:00 to 6:30 PM from June to Labor Day
- 2:00 to 6:00 PM after Labor Day to October
Weather: Open rain or shine (but not in violent storms). Look online if you’re unsure about the weather. Events and Storytime may be canceled even if the Market is open.
Get inspired with this spring recipe that will certainly use that fresh produce available at farmers markets.
Farro arugula salad (6 servings)
- 2 C farro
- 1 pound radishes, tops removed
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 C arugula
- 4 oz feta cheese
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse farro. Add to 6 C boiling water with pinch of salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Quarter radishes and sautee in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper until just begins to brown, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove radishes from heat, add in mustard and balsamic vinegar. Combine with cooked farro.
- Add arugula to farro/radish mixture
- Let sit 10 minutes to cool and mingle flavors, then add in feta. Enjoy!
398 calories, 12 g protein, 30 g carb, 8 g fiber, 10 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat